Selecting a lawyer for a truck accident injury claim is no small matter. Injuries from truck accidents are often shocking and sometimes lethal. The damage that can result from a collision with a vehicle that may weigh as much as forty tons can be horrifying and often comes with enormous property damage and medical costs. If you or someone close to you was harmed in a collision that was caused by another party’s negligence, our knowledgeable and experienced big rig accident attorneys at the Russell Law Firm can help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
An important part of being an outstanding truck accident lawyer is understanding the intricacies and fine points of trucking companies and their insurers. These firms typically carry as much as $1 million in liability insurance for their drivers. However, the insurance companies and their well-paid attorneys want to withhold as much compensation as they can under the law; it’s their job to save their employers’ as much money as possible. That’s why you need a Baton Rouge Truck accident lawyer who will stand up to the big companies and even the score on your behalf.
Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents
The trucking industry is highly regulated by the federal government because of the danger that it poses to other cars on the road. Everything from the maximum driving time to the weight and size of a truck is regulated. Parties who fail to abide by these rules can be held liable for any injuries caused.
Legal Representation Within Your Reach
While most people realize the value of a good attorney, the Russell Law Firm is well aware that the cost of putting a lawyer on retainer is beyond the means of many – and that’s even truer following a severe accident. We work on a contingency fee basis. Simply put, that means we earn no money from our work until our clients are paid; either through judgment from the court or through a successful settlement. There is no need to put up any money before we begin your case and all initial consultations with prospective clients are free.
Why Truck Accidents Happen
The Federal Government regulates the trucking industry to limit the hazard commercial trucks present to other vehicles. Vehicle maintenance, the size, and weight of a truck, as well as the weight of cargo, are monitored. So is the time a driver spends behind the wheel. However, these regulations are not always followed. When this happens, these companies may be held at fault for injuries or damages resulting from their negligence. An aggressive 18 wheeler accident lawyer will fight to use every available avenue to determine the full liability that should be placed on the company- not the victim(s).
Most Frequent Causes of Truck Accidents
- Driver fatigue – Drivers often spend hours upon hours on the road, and they may try to get around regulations on how long they can drive without breaks or times for sleep. When this happens, tired drivers, who are often facing strict deadlines, may lose focus, use poor judgment, or fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol – Truck drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are just as likely to cause an accident as regular motorists, but their vehicles pose far more of a threat.
- Overweight cargo or freight – Occasionally, trucks are loaded with too much weight in cargo. This can make the vehicle handle in an unsafe manner. Excess weight is especially dangerous during adverse road conditions.
- Brake failure – Because big rigs and other commercial trucks are so heavy, a lot of stress is placed on their brakes. Without proper maintenance, this can lead to a brake failure resulting in a potentially deadly collision.
- Tire failure or separation – Just as a truck’s brakes undergo plenty of stress, other parts of a big rig can be more prone to failure than in other vehicles. Tire failures or separations tend to be among the most common of these failures and pose a very significant threat.
- Speeding or reckless driving – Speeding or driving recklessly in a big rig can, very obviously, be especially dangerous because of the physical forces at work.
Outstanding Legal Representation with a Personal Touch
Our roots as a law firm go back to the experience of Danny Russell who, as a college-aged accident victim, received an amount he would later learn was a small fraction of the amount of money he was actually entitled to. Our job is to make sure people who suffer as a result of negligence get the financial compensation they need to get their lives back on track after an injury or the loss of a loved one.
The Russell Law Firm encourages victims of trucking accidents to visit us for a free, no-obligation consultation. We’ll explore your case to see what the possibilities are in your situation and go from there. To get started, contact us today at 225-307-0088 or through our contact page.