Distracted Driving Vehicle Accidents in Louisiana
Operating a motor vehicle requires a driver’s full and undivided attention. Drivers injure other motorists across Louisiana and the U.S. by taking their eyes of the road to use their smart phones, causing in distracted driving vehicle accidents. Even a brief glance away from the road can have devastating results.
The American Automobile Association reported recent findings that reading a text message while traveling at 55mph is equivalent to driving the entire length of a football field while blindfolded.
How Dangerous Are Distracted Driving Vehicle Accidents?
Distracted drivers cause an estimated 80 percent of motor vehicle accidents in the U.S. The American Automobile Association has reported that driver inattention is a factor in more than 1 million crashes annually in North America.
Common Causes of Distracted Driving Vehicle Accidents
The most common causes of distracted driving vehicle accidents include:
- Talking on a cell phone or other mobile device, whether holding it near the ear or hands free
- Reading and sending text messages or social media posts
- Eating and drinking
- Personal grooming, applying lipstick and looking in the rear view mirror
- Reaching into a different part of the car
- Adjusting the car radio, CD player or MP3 player, air conditioning, or navigation system
- Reading a map or GPS device
- Talking to passengers
- Reacting to a moving object in the car, such as a pet, insect, or shifting cargo
- Staring at distracting objects outside the car, such as animals, signage, or a crash
- Inattention, fatigue, or daydreaming
Injured By a Distracted Driver?
Even if you’re a motorist that’s completely focused, obeying traffic laws, and driving cautiously, you can still be involved in a distracted driving vehicle accident due to another driver’s inattention.
The Russell Law Firm collects evidence to prove that the accident wasn’t your fault and will do everything we can to get you the compensation you deserve for the injuries you sustained, including payment for medical bills, pain and suffering, and loss wages.
The Russell Law Firm takes a personal approach with clients in handling their motor vehicle accident cases, because we are about the client’s personal needs and helping them to get their lives back together after an accident.
If you or someone you know has been injured by another distracted driver, make the Right Call, Right Now to the Russell Law Firm at (225) 307-0088 or visit our contact page. We offer free consultations and work on a contingency fee basis, so we won’t charge you any legal fees unless we obtain a recovery for you.
**Information furnished herein is only general and not a substitute for personalized legal advice. The photographs are not depictions of any actual even or scenes, but merely dramatizations.
By Danny Russell, admitted to practice in:
- All Louisiana District Courts
- All Louisiana Appellate Courts
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- Middle District Court of Louisiana
- Western District Court of Louisiana
- Eastern District Court of Louisiana
- Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit